Sunday, April 12, 2020

GATE Success story - Upasana Singh: Success GATEway


UPASANA SINGH
ADMITTANCE:  IIT KANPUR
I was taking online lectures for GATE. But with time, I realized that in-person coaching or guidance will be more helpful


I did my B.Tech from ABES-EC, Ghaziabad. I started my GATE preparation in summer break after my pre-final year in B.Tech. Initially, I was taking online lectures for GATE. But with time, I realized that in-person coaching or guidance will be more helpful. Because in coaching centers, it is more convenient to ask questions. When I discussed it with some of my friends, I came to know about Success GATEway coaching classes. Many of my batch mates were enrolled in their placement course and many others from my college were enrolled in the GATE preparation course. Sachin Sir at Success GATEway used to teach C programming language for both the courses. He was famous for his way of teaching C programming. I joined Success GATEway in August 2016. By the time I joined, a few of the subjects had already been covered. Few other students joined late around the same time. So, we went to the instructors to discuss this, and they willingly agreed to teach us those subjects on the holidays and off-days even without us asking. We were provided with the exercise booklets for each subject, having sufficient practice questions. We used to give tests on weekends. 

As this was my final year, I had to appear for the placement drives as well. At that time, I wanted to keep a backup option in case things don’t go well as planned. I didn’t prepare anything specifically for placements apart from some behavioral questions, of course. I always knew that whatever I was preparing for GATE would help me in my college placements as well, and it did. I got placed on the first day itself. From the day I got placed, I resumed my GATE coaching classes with full energy and concentration. It was the month of November, and most of our subjects were covered by that time. We were supposed to practice more and more by giving online and offline tests. But, I was not very serious with the online practice tests at that time. Either I always used to end the tests in the middle or did not take them seriously as in a real exam. I would suggest everyone to never do this. Later, I realized this was the biggest mistake I made during my preparation for GATE 2017

I got AIR 1350 in GATE 2017. I was not happy with the rank because I knew it wasn’t enough to get into any prestigious IIT. On the day results came, I got a call from one of my instructors asking about the results. My instructors called almost everybody from our GATE batch that day. They congratulated us and motivated us to do better. They often used to tell us things that motivated us during coaching as well. These things proved to be very important for all of us. Motivation drives you to keep going and always do better whenever you are preparing for a competitive exam, whether it is GATE or something else. Both of our instructors have always been very friendly and helpful. We could always rely on them for any kind of queries. 

After GATE 2017 results, I had a choice to make to appear for GATE again or not. This was easier for me to decide because I wanted something great for myself. I didn’t want to settle for what I already had. So, I decided to prepare again for GATE 2018. When I was about to graduate in 2017, I had the option of doing GATE preparation along with a job or just prepare full-time for GATE. Since I wanted to give my 100% this time, I chose to prepare full-time for GATE 2018 and rejected my job offer. My parents were always very supportive during all this time. 

I joined the GATE preparation batch of Success GATEway again. Although I had all the notes and other resources from my GATE 2017 preparation, I still joined the coaching because I didn’t want to miss anything this time. I knew that regularly going to coaching classes will maintain discipline and consistency during my preparation. And, all the things that I missed earlier or didn’t do the right way, I would have a chance to make them right. During GATE 2017 preparation, I didn’t spend much time on regularly revising the concepts. Revision is very important. It can make significant impacts on your preparation. If we don’t revise whatever we learn, we often tend to forget it and then end up spending double time on learning the same things again. It wastes more time. Also, revision helps you to know more about your strengths and weaknesses in each subject. This enables you to make informed decisions about which questions should be attempted or skipped during the exam. During GATE 2017, I didn’t decide upon any pattern beforehand on how I would be attempting the questions. This was another blunder made by me. An aspirant should always know beforehand which pattern is suitable for him/her for writing the exam. One should practice sufficient full syllabus tests to figure out which question pattern works for him/her. And afterward, the aspirant should stick to that attempt pattern only while writing any practice test. This prepares your mind in some way and avoids any ambiguities during exam time.

In GATE 2018, I followed an attempt pattern and practiced the same in all my practice tests in coaching. In the first go of the question paper, I attempted 2 marks questions first, then 1 mark questions and at last, the aptitude questions. In the second go, I tried to solve the questions that I could not answer in the first go. I decided to attempt 2 marks questions first because they need more of your time and brain. And usually, we are very calm at the start of an exam. Attempting 2 marks question at the start has its own side effects, but you need to be mentally prepared for that. You should learn to skip questions when needed. And this habit will only develop once you give enough practice tests. 

I secured AIR 166 in GATE 2018 and took admission in IIT Kanpur. I never focused on the number of hours that I put in for preparation. But I always maintained the consistency to follow all these things diligently. At all times, I was focused on maintaining the accuracy of my answers rather than increasing the number of questions I attempt. It helped me in my final GATE exam as well. I only got negatives for 3 questions. Being said that, I still believe that different strategies work for different aspirants, and you should figure out your own strategy by practicing more and more tests. Our instructors at Success GATEway always insisted on that. Success GATEway used to be open on even holidays. There were times when only the students used to go to coaching, to have discussions and doubt solving sessions. I used to spend most of my time there in December and January. My friends and I used to discuss and solve problems together. A student should always be engaged in some doubt sessions or discussions. It helps to make the concepts more clear.

Our instructors provided us with all the resources that they could. They used to be always available to clear your doubts. We were even allowed to call them to clear our doubts. I always think I could have done even better than this. There is always a scope for improvement. Practice more and more to become better. It will boost your confidence for the final GATE exam. Now, I am part of a prestigious institute, and I am very thankful to all those who have been a part of this journey. I have learned many things from my instructors, my friends in coaching, and I will always be grateful to them.

Some pointers based on my little experience:

1. Take every practice test seriously. Write the tests as you would in the GATE exam. 
2. Clear your basics. So that even when a new type of question comes, you will be able to tackle it. Don’t rely only on the type of questions already seen in previous years. 
3. Consistency. Hard work is the key to your success only if you do it consistently. Do revise your notes regularly. Don’t run away from subjects like Computer Organization. Instead, give them more time and try to understand the basics. Once you understand the basics, you would love to learn more. Refer to standard books when needed. 
4. Time. Plan and divide your time accordingly for each subject. Learning new concepts and revising old ones should go hand in hand. Also, plan how you would write your final GATE exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GATE Success story by AIR -29 Arpan Mangal

ARPAN MANGAL ADMITTANCE:  IISc  Trust me, I used to disturb them a lot, even for very small things. But they were always patient...